Dear Parents and Carers,
I hope it has been a good few weeks of settling into new classrooms, routines etc; I can’t believe we are already in week 5!
I’d like to take the time over the next few weeks to discuss “connectedness”.
Psychology Today writes about 10 habits to strengthen our connection with our children. I’ll chat about a few of these at a time.
- Aim for 12 hugs (or physical connections) every day, snuggle your child first thing in the morning for a few minutes, and last thing at night. Hug when you say goodbye, when you’re re-united, and often in between. Tousle hair, pat backs, rub shoulders. Make eye contact and smile, which is a different kind of touch, this may seem above and beyond however it’s a great way to find out what happened in their day.
- Play, laughter and rough-housing keep you connected with your child by stimulating endorphins and oxytocin in both of you. Making laughter a daily habit also gives your child a chance to laugh out the anxieties and upsets that otherwise make him feel disconnected — and more likely to act out.
- Turn off technology when you interact with your child. Your child will remember for the rest of her life that she was important enough to her parents that they turned off their phone to listen to her. Even turning off music in the car can be a powerful invitation to connect, because the lack of eye contact in a car takes the pressure off, so kids (and adults) are more likely to open up and share.
I have found these points to be really thought provoking not just for interactions with children but also significant others in my life, I hope as we journey through the 10 habits you too would have something to take away.
Did you know?
- Board games are held in the Library on Tuesday’s during lunch.
- Being in nature, or even viewing scenes of nature, reduces anger, fear, and stress and increases pleasant feelings.
- Effects of too much screen time may affect your posture, eyesight can deteriorate, may cause sleep issues, and social skills may suffer.
- Anglicare WA has a range of counselling services available.